Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Joplin


During my little break the family and I took a spur of the moment trip to Joplin. I have been wanting to go there for quite a few weeks, but it just didn't seem to work out with everything that has been going on at home. So one afternoon we just headed there, I had an assignment for one of my photography classes so I did need to take some pictures too. I left with the photographer mind frame of the shots that I wanted to get, how I was going to get them and so on. I didn't want to impose on anyone, so I knew I was not looking for specific people shots, just mainly destruction shots. I knew it was going to be a little hard emotionally because for some reason the connection and interest I have taken in with Joplin the past few weeks I knew it would impact me, I just wasn't expecting how it did. Let me tell you the instant that we pulled onto one of the side streets, it just hit me instantly. There was no shock and awe, it was instant and I mean INSTANT emotion, I was just overcome with it. I cannot describe what exactly I was feeling because I alone did not understand. The tears just came and kept on coming and I had a hard time composing myself. I felt so sad for so many who did not know what was coming, I felt so sad for those who lost their lives, I felt so sad for so many who now have nothing because it was wiped out in a matter of seconds. I felt angry, hurt, I felt it all and for someone who wasn't there, who isn't going through what the people of Joplin are going through, it just has impacted me so much.
Not only did it scare me, but it made me realize a lot. I have lived in this area and around the threat of tornado's going on 8 years now. I do not think that it is ever something that I will get used to. My heart skips a beat when I know there is a possibility of one, I will not go to bed unless we are in the clear. I know the fear but I cannot imagine what the people of Joplin went through in a matter of minutes. I know that it has opened up my eyes so much. I don't ever want to take anything or anyone for granted. I want to cherish each and every moment and live it all to the fullest. Driving around, not feeling anything but sadness and heartache, you also see that even though this town is in shambles, there is a lot of hope. So many people stand together, knowing things will get better in time. You see the American Flag flying everywhere, you can't help but hope that this town will overcome all the destruction and sadness. Seeing all the destruction in person does not even compare to what you see on television that is for sure! Pictures can show you the damage and destruction and sadden you, but being there
and letting the mind wander and try to imagine all that went on, it is really indescribable. Many many thoughts and prayers continue to go out to everyone of Joplin, Missouri!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...